11 | 2018
Pilot Put-to-Light solution integrated with JDA Warehouse Management
At the beginning of October, a pilot solution to support inventory sortation for parcel shipments has been introduced to a group of logistics professionals. This original Put-to-Light solution, integrated with JDA WMS and prepared by HKK engineers responsible for WMS solutions, is addressing the ever-increasing demand of distributors and logistics providers operationally active in retail and ecomm channels.
How it works?
JDA WMS filters out orders qualifying for PTL process while uploading them into the system (selection criteria may be individually configured per process). Selected orders are automatically grouped in waves, then allocated and released. Next JDA WMS creates picking lists to bring inventory from storage to PTL stations –inventory may be streamlined to PTL stations (multiple totes/ pallets at a time for single wave); different picking strategies can apply, i.e. zone picking, bulk picking.
Inventory delivered in totes/ pallets is sorted to slots at a PTL station (each slot represents usually one order) – operator picks up item from the delivered tote/ pallet, scans its EAN code and puts it away into slots with flashing LED panels; quantity to putaway is presented on panels – optionally, process can assume piece by piece sortation (like on cash desk in supermarket). The rear panel indicates when the order is complete (or the slot is full) – operator then packs the whole inventory from the slot and confirms it by pressing the flashing LED.
Parcel status is changing into “Closed” in JDA WMS and the order status into “Packed” – this may trigger (depending on configuration) all standard interfaces and printouts. Closed parcels are moved to ship dock for loading and shipping.
HKK PTL application and function library integrating Put-to-Light solution with JDA Dispatcher WMS create the heart of the system. A predefined process configuration takes care of Put-to-Light flow within JDA WMS - order selection, wave creation, picking, repacking at PTL, label printing, interfacing and dispatch confirmation.
Other elements of the PTL station are: touchscreen PC for administration and control, LED panels with buttons, PLC controller, barcode reader, label printer and optional components (i.e. document printer, scale).
Advantages for users of JDA WMS with PTL solution by HKK
- Better utilization of picking resources - inventory needed to fulfill orders may be delivered to PTL station as a stream of multiple totes/ pallets - many pickers can work simultaneously on a single wave
- Shorter outbound cycle - semi automated SKU-driven (not order-driven) sortation process enables many orders to be processed in parallel at a PTL station
- Simple installation – ready to use components plus dedicated process within the JDA WMS
- Flexible configuration - process flow is setup using native JDA WMS functionality
- Easy extendable – single warehouse may utilize many PTL stations allowing more orders / customers to be served in less time. Adding another PTL station requires just plug-in into the server plus one day of the JDA WMS setup work
- Scalable arrangement – the PTL area(s) may be easily adjusted or turned on/off to follow ever changing order flow in the e-comm business
Contact w/regard to PTL by HKK: Maciej Krupa, +48 607 338 787, email@example.com
You can download our brochure, which can be found HERE.